Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Water leads to Oil! (Painting, that is)

Because of the wet environment, artwork was doomed in Venice. Because of the humidity, panel painting wasn't going to work, and frescoes wouldn't last very long, and that was the main reason Venice emerged as one of the great oil-painting areas of the renaissance.

I went to the Guggenheim in Venice. It was a really nice collection, but I'll admit that I don't really "get" modern art. I love Alexander Calder though. He was pretty super. I got super inspired to make something when I was there, but I'll just have to wait to get back to Colorado. Oh well!

I went to an AMAZING George Barbier alone today. I even found my way there all by myself (I was wondering around hoping to find it and was lucky enough to actually stumble upon the right museum)! I bought the English version of the catalog as a present for myself...

When we visited Piazza San Marco, it was dry, but the next day....

No comments: