I spent the weekend in Torino with Gaby and Abbie. It was a very nice city- sort of a cross between Florence and Paris, but smaller. The avenues are a lot bigger than Florence's windy streets, and since it's so far north, the building style is a lot more baroquey (read, flowery) than central Italy.
We went to the Egyptian Museum, which is the second largest collection of artifacts in the world outside of Cairo. Cool, huh?
Everyone in Torino has a dog. See??
On the train back (which was an ordeal in of itself as we missed ours and had to wait two hours for the next), we ended up in a 6-person booth with one other woman. She was probably in her sixties and had the most classy orange dye-job I've ever seen. We kept to ourselves for most of the ride back, but when we hit La Spezia, I asked how long it would be until we arrived in Florence (in Italian :) ) and she said an hour- hour and a half, and then asked if we spoke Italian well. We said no, but then had a really great conversation about travel and work all in Italian, and I was so proud of myself and felt like I've actually learned a lot in the past month.
No comments:
Post a Comment